Best practices for Cygwin install on Terminal Server in app mode?

Markus Schönhaber mks99@t-online.de
Sat May 17 16:51:00 GMT 2003

Alex K. Angelopoulos wrote:
> Alex K. Angelopoulos wrote:
>
>>A short followup note on this.
>>
>>This hasn't drawn any responses and the only reference to Windows
>>Terminal Services in message subjects I found searching back to early
>>2000 was "Cygwin crashes on .Net Server 2003 with Terminal Services
>>enabled", a discussion started 2003-02-24. (Message URL
>>http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-02/msg01898.html).
>>
>>At this point I have the impression that no one may actually have done
>>any Cygwin testing on Terminal Services in Application Mode at all.  I
>>will try this on Windows 2000 and/or NT4TSE to see what happens.
>

> I think the issue is interactions between the Cygwin installer and TS in
> application mode, NOT anything with Windows 2003 per se.

I think so too. As I wrote in the before-mentioned discussion, I'm using
cygwin on Win 2003 Server since RC1 without any problem. The difference
seems to be, that I do not use the Application Server mode of Terminal
Services but only the XP-like Remote Desktop.

> Running setup in TS application mode on Win2K, I got the exact same
> results as on Windows 2003.  After setup, when you launch the bash
> environment, you immediately land at a bare bash prompt, like this
> 'bash-2.05b$'.

If my memory doesn't fail me completely, there is a thing like "putting
a terminal server in installation mode". I seem to remember that one can
achieve this by not lauching the setup program/installer file/whatever
directly but by using "Add new Programs" in the "System Settings /
Software" panel. Maybe this could be a way to workaround the problem.
It's at least worth a try, /me thinks.

Regards
   mks

PS: I'm using only German versions of Windows. So "Add new Programs"
might not exactly be what the button is labeled in the English version.