SPARSE files considered harmful - please revert

John Vincent jpv50@hotmail.com
Mon May 19 19:40:00 GMT 2003

You say that any areas that are seeked over should be sparse as well. That
is true on many Unix/Linux file systems. I've not seen anything to suggest
it's true on NTFS though, have you?

From: "Max Bowsher" <maxb at ukf dot net>
To: <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 19:54:19 +0100
Subject: Re: SPARSE files considered harmful - please revert

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/base/sparse_file_operations.asp

>The most interesting thing is that a sparse file is only sparse if the
zeros
>in the file are written with a special operation. I strongly suspect that
>the patch to support sparse files introduced in cygwin is incorrect (or at
>least incomplete)

Areas that are simply seeked over, and never written to, should be sparse as
well.

Anyway:

Based on the posted numbers, global use of sparse files is a bad idea. Can
we conditionalize sparse files on a $CYGWIN option? (Or something else, I
don't mind, but the important thing is that it should not be on by default.)