mkpasswd and uid problem with domain accounts (16-bit wrapping?)

Reddie, Steven Steven.Reddie@ca.com
Tue May 27 05:55:00 GMT 2003

Great, thanks for the info Igor.

-----Original Message-----
From: Igor Pechtchanski [mailto:pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, 27 May 2003 1:57 PM
To: Reddie, Steven
Cc: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: mkpasswd and uid problem with domain accounts (16-bit
wrapping?)

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Reddie, Steven wrote:

> I'm having problems with uid's which I think is due to 16-bit
> wrapping. I was recently transferred to a different domain and so ran
> "mkpasswd -d -u myusername newdomain" and got back an entry with a
> uid=133500 due to the tailing end of the SID being 123500.  I added
> this line to /etc/passwd.  My id get's reported as 2428 and it doesn't

> resolve to my username.  It seems that the value is wrapped to
> 16-bits.  If I change the uid value in /etc/passwd to 2428 everything
> seems to work.  I had some difficulty determining this at first and
> was wondering if it's expected or a bug.  The domain that I am now on
> would have well over 20,000 accounts and maybe far more, so this is
> why the uid is calculated as such a high value.  Does anyone have any
> further info?
>
> Regards,
> Steven

Steven,

This is exactly what happened; it's expected and is perfectly fine.
Cygwin UIDs are currently 16-bit.  Thankfully, you don't have to have
your Cygwin UID correspond in any way to your Windows SID -- it simply
has to be unique.  So, just change the UID to something (2428 works as
well as anything else, just make sure that you don't have another user
with this UID).  FYI, Cygwin 1.5 should have 32-bit UIDs.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"I have since come to realize that being between your mentor and his
route to the bathroom is a major career booster."  -- Patrick Naughton