where is "make", "more" command?

Ronald Landheer-Cieslak ronald@landheer.com
Wed May 28 09:32:00 GMT 2003

On Wed, 28 May 2003, martin stone wrote:
> Hi..  I had installed Cygwin in my W2K workstation, but I can't find
> those basic command. for example "more", "make" and etc...  What should
> I do?
Install them.

Use http://cygwin.com/Setup.exe to download them. If you're wondering why
they're not installed automagically, you should have read this part of
http://cygwin.com front page:
   Note also that, by default, setup.exe does not install everything.
   Only the base cygwin distribution is installed by default. When
   running setup.exe, clicking on categories and packages in the package
   installation screen will provide you with the ability to control what
   is installed or updated. For instance, clicking on the "Default" field
   next to the "All" category will provide you with the opportunity to
   install every Cygwin package. Be advised that this will download and
   install hundreds of megabytes to your computer. The best plan is
   probably to click on individual categories and install either entire
   categories or packages from the categories themselves.

If you're wondering where to find the packages you need, use the Setup
Package Search (see the main page, on the left side, under "Software")

> And I found when I su - Administrator, or login Administrator, it always
> prompt me password incorrect.  Why?
That's another story. In short, you should use ssh to switch user context.
As for the details, you can always hope someone else will enlighten you,
because I personally can't.

HTH

rlc