NTsec permissions issue over inet

Banville, Stephen Stephen.Banville@sycamorenet.com
Thu May 29 16:53:00 GMT 2003

Larry,
	The remote shares are NFS and SIFS volumes only. In the past
acessing
the shared volume as //netapp0/sbanville$ has always worked fine for me.
Could you tell which key to look at to verify the SID ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

	Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Hall [mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 9:52 AM
To: Banville, Stephen
Cc: 'Cygwin@cygwin.com'
Subject: Re: NTsec permissions issue over inet

Banville, Stephen wrote:

> My system that I have Cygwin running on is a Windows 2000 platform. I have
> set the appropriate environment variable for ntsec

This isn't necessary anymore.

> and have created the appropriate passwd and group files from my network
> domain. When I telnet, rsh, or ftp into my Window 2k box
> I get the following message:
>
> rsh 127.0.0.1 -l sbanville
> Password:
> Private Cygnus Operating System(c) 5.1.0
> UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS STRICTLY PROHIBITED
> mkdir: cannot create directory `//netapp0/sbanville$': File exists
> -bash: //netapp0/sbanville$/.bash_profile: Permission denied

What's with 'sbanville$'?  Where is the '$' coming from?  Clearly
you're not going to be sucessful creating a directory that is essentially
the share name either.  You should check the passwd and group files on
this machine as well.  If this directory is coming from one of those,
that's likely to be the problem.

> My NT passwd information was created by running mkpasswd -l <domain> >
> passwd; mkgroup -d <domain> > group

I hope you mean 'mkpasswd -l -d <domain>'.  The above won't work.
It might be helpful if you attached your passwd and group files or
at least your entry in them.

> I have set Cygwin ntsec tty.

You don't need 'ntsec' anymore, though there is no harm in it.  As
Igor mentioned, you may find it useful to add 'smbntsec', since you're
using SAMBA shares.  I expect you know this but these settings must be
set *before* the Cygwin DLL is loaded.

> This used to work fine in older version of Cygwin.
>
> It appears that the Windows box is not happy with the SID that is created
> from mkpasswd.
> I have compared the SID in my passwd entry to appropriate groups that I
> bneed to belong to.
> There is no inconsistencies.

You can compare the SID in the passwd file with the one Windows has for
you (in the registry at least).  They should be the same.  If they are,
the SID is fine.

Are these groups across multiple domains?

> After loggin in I also checked the well known groups that I belong too,
> which also turned out to be fine.
>
> Can someone please tell me what the problem could be.
>
> Here is the ouput from cygcheck -s -r
>
> NOTE: I also get the folowing meesage when running cygcheck:
>
> cygcheck: dump_sysinfo: GetVolumeInformation() failed: 5
> cygcheck: dump_sysinfo: GetVolumeInformation() failed: 5
> cygcheck: dump_sysinfo: GetVolumeInformation() failed: 5

# net helpmsg 5

Access is denied.

You're getting this from trying to access your 3 Windows shares listed
below.  When do you get this?  When you're logged into the machine locally
or when you're logged in remotely?

> CYGCHECK OUTPUT

> ----
>

> Cygwin Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
> Current System Time: Wed May 28 09:28:19 2003
>
> Windows 2000 Professional Ver 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 3
>
> Path:	C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin
> 	C:\cygwin\bin
> 	C:\cygwin\bin
> 	c:\Perl\bin
> 	d:\Program Files\Documentum\Shared
> 	c:\WINNT\system32
> 	c:\WINNT
> 	c:\WINNT\System32\Wbem
> 	c:\DMI\bin
> 	c:\Program Files\Dell\Resolution Assistant\Common\bin
> 	C:\cygwin\bin
         ^^^

Huh?

[snip]

> Found: c:\Program Files\Hummingbird\Connectivity\7.10\Accessories\tar.exe

Ouch!  Are there other conflicts here with Cygwin utilities?

Holliston, MA 01746