cygwin deadlocks due to broken select() when writing to pipes

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Sun Nov 2 19:41:00 GMT 2003

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 12:29:53AM +0900, Dylan Cuthbert wrote:
>Actually I think I did mention I was running rsync hourly in a cron job,
>that's all I've been mentioning as far as I know.

Which has nothing to do with selecting on pipes unless (and even this is
pretty remote) you have turned on CYGWIN=tty for your cron for some
reason.

The point that I am vainly trying to make is that if one person reports
a symptom like "hanging" and another person reports a symptom like
"hanging" in a completely different scenario while offering a rationale
for the behavior, it does not automatically mean that person B has found
the root cause for person A's problem unless person A and person B's
situations are the same.  There is nothing in your (repeated) description
of your problem to indicate that is the case.