gcc 3.3.1-3, loading .la files from gcj-compiled apps

Marcus G. Daniels mgd@santafe.edu
Sat Nov 8 04:14:00 GMT 2003

Charles Wilson wrote:

> Or rebuild libjava so that it uses the system-installed version of
> cygltdl-3.dll and not a self-compiled one.

It looks to me like everything would work (assuming dlopen works),
provided the libjava linked against the Cygwin libltdl instead of the
one it subsumes from itself.  The problem in the libjava/libltldl in
Cygwin's GCC 3.3.1-3 source distribution is that the HAVE_LIBDL code is
disabled with a special case for Cygwin in order to supress some
spurious error message. And unfortunately the fallback to LoadLibrary
doesn't happen either because _WIN32 is not set.

While it would be good to update GCC at some point, this idea of getting
GCC to take Cygwin's libltldl would seem to be the most flexible thing
to have happen... (Assuming there are othher important reasons for
having that libtldl DLL.)