running out of memory

Arash Partow arashp@hotmail.com
Wed Nov 12 09:48:00 GMT 2003

Hi Armin,

This is a known problem with the cygwin layer, currently efforts are
underway to exactly define where the problem resides, however it seems
when "processes" are threaded and sockets are used in the process, in some
instances when the socket is closed the cygwin layer doesn't pass the close
onto the winsock, hence the socket as a descriptor (win32 handle) remains.
This causes the following:

1. Win32 Handles not being freed up
2. Virtual and Swap memory not being freed up

You may want to try installing the latest cygwin1.dll as of 10th Nov
from the snapshots section. Some aspects of the problem have been resolved,
this may remedy your current problem.

Arash Partow

Be one who knows what they don't know,
Instead of being one who knows not what they don't know,
Thinking they know everything about all things.
http://www.partow.net

>I am running cygwin ( l.5.5 ) on a Win 2k ( 1,8 Ghz; 512 MB Ram) machine
>with rsync as a service. Each night I do a simple
>

>rsync -e ssh -a --delete --modify-window=2 /home/"samba all shares"/
>ssh-user@Win2kserver:/cygdrive/x/backup
>

>cron job from a RedHat 8.0 server. This satifies all my present needs.
>However, over a couple of days rsync.exe and sshd.exe processes are
>adding up (over 100 at my last count) until the Win 2k machine runs out
>of memory. Each process eats about 2.000-3.000 K.
>The backup still works ok and I can't find any error messages on my
>linux machine.

..

.