gtk for cygwin

Bernhard Windisch bw247@cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 13 18:36:00 GMT 2003

I installed cygwin on my Windows XP laptop to access my linux workstation
via ssh -X. Unfortunately, when I try to open a x-window application on the
remote machine, I get the error Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display on my
laptop, if I am not running the X-server under cygwin.
I installed the gtk2-Version for cygwin which is recommended in the mailing
list archives. (So gtk2-win32 and gtk-engines-win32)

If anyone has an idea how to handle that problem or if it is not possible to
open mozilla for example without starting the cygwin X-server, please let me
know,

thanks, Bernhard