chmod

Brian Ford ford@vss.fsi.com
Sat Nov 15 17:21:00 GMT 2003

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Lorenzo Travaglio wrote:

> > Ugh.  Again, what OS and what filesystem, and:
> Sorry. Win98.

And FAT32, and did you read these?

> Brian Ford wrote:
> > More likely, you are running an NT variant at work and 9x at home?  See:
> >
> > http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_toc.html#TOC45 and
> > http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/highlights.html#OV-HI-PERM

And again:
> > In that case, this is not Xfree86 related, so next time please use the
> > main cygwin@cygwin.com mailing list.  Also, see:

And you must not have read this *still*, because you did not attach
cygcheck output.
> > http://www.cygwin.com/problems.html
> >
> > for how to report this issue correctly so that someone can answer without
> > guessing.  Thanks.

I don't even really know what the question is anymore!  chmod is a no-op
on Win98.  Cygwin fakes permissions there, and it won't work.

If this is not clear enough, or did not answer your question, please
carefully follow the guidlines presented in the URL above, post to
the correct list with an informative subject line, and then maybe you'll
get the answer your looking for.

I'm sorry for being grumpy, but I just don't know what's left to tell.  I
guess WJM rubs off quickly, huh?

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer