problem with sizeof struct alignment

Andrew Hill dru@treshna.com
Wed Nov 19 14:25:00 GMT 2003

I have this struct

typedef struct {
double arrival;
double departure;
char status;
int bookingid;
int userid;
} RoomStatus;

I'm using gcc with no compiler options or flags.  Under linux with gcc,
sizeof(RoomStatus) returns me 28 - as i would expect. If I use a borland
C++ compiler it also returns a sizeof 28. But with cygwin + gcc it
returns a sizeof 32.  I'm a bit confused. Does cgwin + gcc align to
nearest 8bytes for structs?  Is there a compiler option to tell it to
use 4 byte alignment?  Is it just me whos having this problem?

I checked the sizeof for int, double and char and they all correct,
changing the char to an int or specifically saying its a 4bit int
doens't seem to make any difference.