Installation problem with xfree86-prog

David A. Cobb Superbiskit@cox.net
Mon Nov 24 17:09:00 GMT 2003

I know that problems with Xfree86-cygwin have a list of their own, but I
think this may be a packaging problem or something super-weird about my
Cygwin installation.

Lately, XFree86-prog is showing up among the packages to be updated.  If
I allow setup to attempt this, every attempt locks up trying to install
a file <file://./usr/X11R6/include/X11/ap_keysym.h>.  The setup control
flickers, continually redisplaying the same percent-complete.  I can go
away and have dinner, when I come back it hasn't made any progress.  If
I spy on it with, say, ProcessExplorer, it seems to be acquiring a
"token" on /<computer name>/Administrator, then releasing the same.
Again, and again, and . . . .

No matter which version I choose to install, they all hang on the same file.

The file does not exist on my installation (because I uninstalled the
package).  I don't see anything strange about directory permissions.  No
other package seems to exhibit the problem.

Any ideas?

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.