inetd desktop interaction w/o console?

Brian Ford ford@vss.fsi.com
Tue Nov 25 19:51:00 GMT 2003

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, Brian Ford wrote:
> > > I know this has been discussed lots before, but I just spent the last few
> > > hours googling, archive searching, trying run.exe, etc. without finding a
> > > solid answer.
> > >
> > > What are the known issues around allowing Cygwin's inetd to interact with
> > > the desktop, but without showing the console window?
> > >
> > > It would be a real nice feature for us to just add that service option
> > > and have it work without the distracting console window.  So, I thought
> > > I'd ping about the known issues before wasting more hours trying to get it
> > > working.
> > >
> > > In the end, I am expecting to contribute a patch to inetd allowing this if
> > > it is reasonably possible.  So, I'm not looking for a handout, just a
> > > jumping off point.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/run.exe
> > Also <http://neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/run/>.

Like I stated above, I had tried run.exe.  But, I think its auto
backgrounding fooled both me and the service manager into thinking it
didn't work.  Maybe adding a -no-background, or some such option, to
run.exe would fix this.

So, the only way to do this is via special arguments to CreateProcess,
or to compile with -mwindows?

> Oops, forgot to add that this would probably be more useful as a patch to
> cygrunsrv (unless you mean running "inetd --install-as-service").

Well, yes and yes.  At the time, I did not have inetd source, so I was
unsure exactly how to emulate inetd --install-as-service via cygrunsrv.
Incidentally, why does inetd not use cygrunsrv?  Just history, I guess.

Anyway, I know there has been lots of work around getting windows console
output from net, etc. to show up in an rlogin, telnet, ssh, etc. window.
Would hiding the console mess this up?  Also, when if ever is the console
window desireable for inetd, cygrunsrv spawned stuff, etc.?  Maybe
hiding should be the default if I figure out how.

I've got a lot of digging to do to understand any of this, obviously.
Thanks for the hand hold.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer