What are the correct permissions for cygwin and how do I set them ?

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Wed Oct 1 15:43:00 GMT 2003

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Olaf Föllinger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using w2k. Today I've been migrated to a new domain so now I do have
> new sids.
>
> Of course the permissions of my files are now wrong. How do I correct
> them ? Whome they should belong to ? I've renewed /etc/passwd and
> /etc/groups using
>
> mkgroup -d >/etc/group
>
> mkpasswd -d >/etc/passwd
>
> but this seems not enough. What else should I try ? E.g. mutt dumps
> while accessing a local mailbox.
>
> Gruss Olaf Föllinger

Olaf,

Do you mean that you are now logging in as another domain user?  You
should then simply chown any files that were owned by the old user to the
new user...  I'd suggest finding out the UID of the old domain user (by
doing "ls -lnd ~", for example (if the username didn't change), and then
running something like

<UNTESTED>
  export OLDUID=`ls -lnd ~ | cut -d ' ' -f 4`
  export UID=`id -u`
  chown -R --from=$OLDUID $UID
</UNTESTED>

Alternatively, you could try a more conventional command, e.g.,

<UNTESTED>
  find / -user $OLDUID -print0 | xargs -0 -n 50 chown $UID
</UNTESTED>

You may need to change the group as well if the domain has different group
SIDs.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/