Using authentication under Apache for Cygwin

Andrew DeFaria ADeFaria@Salira.com
Wed Oct 1 18:48:00 GMT 2003


Brian Dessent wrote:

> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>
>> Hmmm... As I said it appears to work in the local case. Or are you 
>> saying I should try to break that by playing with permissions? Are 
>> there any examples of "smbntsec" issues?
>>
>> I mean I suspect that if I do something as small as remove read 
>> permission for other on .htaccess then the server will not be able to 
>> read the file thus it would break. But what would that tell me? What 
>> exactly am I looking for?
>>
>> I may play with this as you suggest tomorrow at work. At home I don't 
>> use SMB for my web site - at least not yet.
>
> As a temporary solution, what happens if you mount the SMB share as a 
> drive and then use "/cygdrive/x/path" instead of the UNC style 
> "//machine/share/path"? If that made it work then it might indicate 
> that it's the path handling code somewhere (i.e. Apache not liking // 
> as a valid posix path) versus a permissions problem.

Ah this works! And I get much shorter and consistent (in my mind) 
pathnames in my httpd.conf file! What I did is mount -bsf 
//sonscentral/users/adefaria/www /www. Now my DocumentRoot is simple 
/www, etc!

So, to summarize, it appears that Apache under Cygwin is able to deal 
with web pages when paths are UNC paths of the form 
//<server>/<share>/<path>/<file> however the authentication module does 
not like such paths and seems to fail silently. Personally I believe 
that if the server can accept an UNC path then the authentication module 
should to likewise.

Workarounds include moving your web site to your local drive (not a nice 
option for me because then it won't be backed up, which is why I stored 
it remotely), mount the remote location locally or make a symlink 
pointing to the remote location (I believe that worked too).

Thanks for the help all.
===
BREAKFAST.COM Halted...Cereal Port Not Responding



--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list