XFree86-bin-icons.sh freezes Cygwin installation

Huijing Zhou hj@N.O.S.P.A.M.cip.wiwi.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Oct 2 16:54:00 GMT 2003

While doing a completely new installation of Cygwin using the latest
Setup version on a Windows 2000 Server, the installation keeps on
stucking at "/etc/postinstall/XFree86-bin-icons.sh", which would takes
over half an hour for no reason. There are a bunch of bash, sh and other
cygwin processes in the process list, but no significant processor or
harddisk activity. This behaviour is reproduceable most of the time, but
not always.

Unfortunately, there is no chance for me to debug the setup process.
Personally I think the Setup is by far the weakest part of the whole
Cygwin distribution, there's been serious problems (serious as in
preventing you completing your installation successfully) for years.
Maybe it's better if we add a "debug output" to the setup to follow the
steps it operates. I'd very much need that.

Huijing

--
Huijing Zhou <hj@N.O.S.P.A.M.cip.wiwi.uni-karlsruhe.de>
CIP Computer Lab, Faculty of Economics