messed up user permissions from w2k terminal session

James D Below James.Below@grc.nasa.gov
Mon Oct 6 20:00:00 GMT 2003

Hi Pierre,

I forgot to clarify the user account differences.

Ignore my first post regarding the Administrators group. I thought I had
put my id in the admin group but I must have hit cancel because when I
checked today it wasn't there.

If the user account is in an admin group (Domain admins or Administrators )
then everything is fine.

>In your initial post you wrote "The administrator account doesn't experience
>problem. A user account belonging in the Administrators group does."
>Is the most recent experiment, is the user in question in the Administrators
>group?
>Also, prior to launching H:\cygwin\cywin.bat, is there any other Cygwin
>process running under that user name on the machine?

nope, no other processes.

>Could you try again when there is absolutely no Cygwin process running?
>
> > When I walk up to the console and login, cywin 1.5.5.1 runs just fine.
> >
> > The problem does *not* occur in version cygwin version 1.3.22-1
>
>Yep, a security hole was fixed in recent versions, but somehow now there
>is "too much" security. I have a theory but I don't have easy access to a
>terminal server to experiment.
>
>So here are two more questions;
>1) When you run 1.3.22 and you do ps -a from a Terminal Server session, do you
>see all Cygwin processes on the machine or only yours?

Only mine, only the ones that I have launched from my window/login session.
I don't see my process in my other terminal windows.

>2) With 1.5.5, can you run simple Cygwin processes, such as ps or cat,
>from the cmd prompt window?

nope, only from an account with admin privileges

It appears the privilege that is assigned to a user from a "terminal
session" is different than that of the same user logging in directly at the
console.

I hope this helps.

thanks.
james