1.5.4-1: Problem with XEmacs, fonts, and subprocesses.

David Rothenberger daveroth@acm.org
Sat Oct 11 17:51:00 GMT 2003

Triza UK wrote:

> I have same experience with Cygwin 1.5.5
>
> I updated my Cygwin to 1.5.5 and XEmacs became
> unusable. Cygwin 1.3.20 works OK. XEmacs I am using is
> 21.5.5, but this must be a Cygwin bug because I only
> ungraded Cygwin.
>
> The problem starts when I run a subprocess from
> XEmacs. Good example is gnuserv. This is not a gnuserv
> related bug because clearcase.el also wrecks XEmacs,
> which also runs subprocesses.
> Having run a subprocess, XEmacs screen failed to get
> updated,
> characters dissappear.

I use XEmacs 21.4, not 21.5, and do not have the reported problem with
fonts.  But, I did have a possibly related problem. When I started a
subprocess in XEmacs, copy/paste to the Windows clipboard would stop
working.  The work-arounds described for the fonts problem (starting
from rxvt) also worked for my problem, which is why I think they are
related.

Anyway, FWIW, the latest changes to fhandler_tty.cc in the latest cygwin
snapshot fixed my XEmacs problems.  You might want to try it.

If they don't solve your problem, I may have time to take a stab at
reproducing and debugging your problem with XEmacs 21.5 in a couple of
weeks.

David