7-Zip

Lapo Luchini lapo@lapo.it
Tue Oct 14 17:32:00 GMT 2003


Lapo Luchini wrote:

> Biju G C wrote:
>
>> I wish there is somebody to port this.
>>
>> As per Igor Standalone command line version in folder
>>  Project\archiver\bundle\Alone\     will be easy to port
>
> I made a try at it, once.. but it has lotsa subdirectories and 
> libraries... without working Makefiles is not-so-easy to figure out 
> how to compile.
> Moreover the source code is written so "Windows-like" (and I know *no* 
> Windows programming) that I can't understand which part of the code is 
> Windows-specific and which one just uses Windows names for "normal 
> things"...

OK, I didn't know that .dsp could be translated "easily" to Makefiles (I 
can't find any program that does so *and* works, though) but fortunately 
Filip knew it and did a "unsupported" patch.
I upgraded that to apply to 7-zip 3.11 clean source (using cygwin in 
-mno-cygwin mode, while his patch used mingw) so that a 7za.exe "stand 
alone executable" can be created with cygwin's gcc.

As Biju said in an earlier message, this is at least the beginning...

BTW: 7za.exe is much more like zip.exe than gzip.exe, as it is an 
archivier, not simply a compressor.
Could be interesting to "extract" a compressor from it, and maybe adapt 
tar to use it, too.

PS: strangely enough, the file is much much bigger (almost the double) 
and also a little slower (even if using -O3 -march=i686 it is 2x size an 
10% slower than the original anyway)
I don't want to believe that VisualC is better than gcc-3.3 =(

-- 
Lapo 'Raist' Luchini
lapo@lapo.it (PGP & X.509 keys available)
http://www.lapo.it (ICQ UIN: 529796)



--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list