sshd only allows connection to local accounts

Fred Ma fma@doe.carleton.ca
Thu Oct 16 07:57:00 GMT 2003

> Subject: Re: sshd only allows connection to local accounts
> Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:08:42 -0400
> From: Larry Hall <cygwin-lh@cygwin.com>
>
> At 06:22 AM 10/15/2003, Corinna Vinschen you wrote:
> >On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 05:08:47AM -0400, Fred Ma wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I followed the procedure of setting up sshd:
> >> http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html
> >>
> >>  [SNIP]
> >>
> >> What more is required to allow ssh connections to
> >> nonlocal user accounts?  I only have control over
> >
> >You're assuming too much.  We don't know about your
> >settings at all.  What cygwin version?  What ssh
> >version?  Password authentication or pubkey
> >authentication?  What do you mean by "I launch the
> >sshd with an account that is part of the
> >administrator group"?  Does that mean you start sshd
> >on the command line using that account?  Or does
> >that mean you start an sshd service from the command
> >line using that account?  Or do you mean the service
> >runs under that account?  Etc.  Please see
> >http://cygwin.com/problems.html.
> >
> >Corinna
>
> Also, instructions at <http://pigtail.net/> are
> unsupported by cygwin.com.  You're best bet is to
> uninstall, reinstall, and then follow the
> instructions in
> /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh-*.README.  If that
> doesn't help, then following Corinna's pointer above
> prior to contacting this list again is a wise step.
> Alternatively, you could consult with the author of
> the instructions you followed.  They'd be a better
> resource for debugging their prescribed installation
> than anyone on this list would be.
> --
> Larry Hall                   http://www.rfk.com

Larry and Corinna,

The documentation describes OpenSSH's privilege
separation, which smells very relevant to the symptoms
I encountered.  For now, I must drop the problem, but I
know where to start digging for a potential solution.
Also other oddities that may be related include
the lack of an sshd user account; sshd exists as a user
on another machine with cygwin, and it's a matter of
more reading to clear up when it should be there.

Thank you for the reference.

Fred
--
Fred Ma, fma@doe.carleton.ca
Carleton University, Dept. of Electronics