ssmtp 2.38.7-4 reads headers from message body.

Felix van Hove felix.hove@ision.net
Thu Oct 16 18:10:00 GMT 2003

-t isn't supported, see man ssmtp.

I have no problem to forward your message without this option, same ssmtp
version 2.38.7.

Felix

Frank Slootweg wrote:

> [This is my first posting to this list. I hope the format is OK.]
>
>   I am trying to use ssmtp (2.38.7-4) as my 'mailer' in tin, the
> newsreader. tin invokes ssmtp as
>
> /usr/sbin/ssmtp -t < %F
>
> where %F is a file which contains the header (lines), a blank line (only
> \r\n) and body.
>
>   I have found that apparently ssmtp keeps reading 'header' lines (like
> From:, etc.) *after* it has read the full header, i.e. it also reads
> 'header' lines from the *body* of the message. For example it will fail
> (on the "From: Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>" line in the
> *body*) with the below input file.
>
>   Of course sending a message which contains a header in the body is
> quite common, so at the moment I can not use ssmtp.
>
>   Is this a known problem? Any solutions/workarounds/etc. (other than
> 'manually' quoting (">") the header lines in the body)?
>
>   Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
>
> [start example input file:]
> From: Frank Slootweg <franks_cygwin@yahoo.com>
> To: Frank Slootweg <franks_cygwin@yahoo.com>
> Subject: ssmtp test

easynet GmbH (http://www.de.easynet.net)
Felix van Hove, system integration
Harburger Schlossstrasse 1, D-21079 Hamburg
fon: +49-40-77175-457, fax: +49-40-77175-498
# easynet is part of the easynet group plc (www.easynetgroup.net)