ssmtp 2.38.7-4 reads headers from message body.

Fri Oct 17 10:26:00 GMT 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 07:33:32PM +0200, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> [I hope this reply is threaded correctly. The digest version of this
> list does not preserve References: etc.. I got a copy of your message
> from the archive and used ssmtp :-) to send it to myself (in OE).]
>
> Corinna Vinschen corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 10:35:59AM +0200, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> > > [This is my first posting to this list. I hope the format is OK.]
> > >
> > >   I am trying to use ssmtp (2.38.7-4) as my 'mailer' in tin, the
> > > newsreader. tin invokes ssmtp as
> > >
> > > /usr/sbin/ssmtp -t < %F
> > >
> > > where %F is a file which contains the header (lines), a blank line
> > > (only \r\n) and body.

I just saw this.  Ssmtp checks for an empty line by testing the first
character being a \n.  I'm not familar with the mail-related RFCs.  Is
it allowed to send lines with DOS lineendings?  In that case it's a fault
in ssmtp.  Otherwise... are you using textmode mounts?  What editor are
you using to create mails/news in tin?  Please send also an attached
cygcheck output as descibed on http://cygwin.com/problems.html.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.