bash- Removing Line feeds (Carriage returns) from data
Andrew DeFaria
Andrew@DeFaria.com
Thu Oct 23 16:24:00 GMT 2003
Jared Ingersoll wrote:
>I think tr is going to solve it, but now I have to figure out just what
>character this is.
>
Is it not character return?!?
>
>thanks,
>
>jared
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Joe [mailto:jdenicola@maxwellsystems.com]
>Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2003 11:18 AM
>To: cygwin@cygwin.com
>Subject: Re: bash- Removing Line feeds (Carriage returns) from data
>
>
>Try piping to: tr -d '\r'
>
>
>"Jared Ingersoll" <jared@cswv.com> wrote in message
>news:4FF77D01E13B214590F4FA3E2C3021D0873AB9@pecos.csw.alewife.net...
>
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I'm currently using cygwin (updated yesterday) with a WIN2K resource kit
>>utility to dump logs from event viewer into a comma delimited file. One
>>behavior that I have noticed (and occasionally notice with cygwin in
>>general) is that within the data, there are what I believe to be carriage
>>returns (show up in an excel spreadsheet as a square character). This data
>>will eventually end up in an Oracle database, so these characters are
>>undesirable. I was wondering if there is a way (outside of manually
>>
>>
>editing
>
>
>>the file, perhaps with sed or awk) to remove these characters?
>>
>>Here's the command that's producing them in the bash shell:
>>
>>/cygdrive/d/EventAudit/dumpel.exe -d 1 -s MyPC -l system -t -c |
>>/cygdrive/c/cygwin/bin/awk '{print "MyPC" "," "system" "," $0}' >>
>>/cygdrive/d/EventAudit/serverevents.`/cygdrive/c/cygwin/bin/date +%Y%m%d`
>>
>>I was unable to find any reference to an automated resolution on google or
>>cygwin FAQ.
>>
>>Thanks for the help.
>>
>>Jared
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>--
>Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
>Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html
>FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
>
>--
>Budget: A method for going broke methodically.
>
>
--
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
More information about the Cygwin
mailing list