Problem with a cygwin App - Broken on a pristine system until I install cygwin, cygwin1.dll doesn't seem to be enough

Christopher Faylor cgf-rcm@cygwin.com
Sat Oct 25 22:18:00 GMT 2003

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 05:58:00PM +0100, Cliff Hones wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>PLEASE don't instruct people to play around with the registry.  We have
>>a perfectly good tool for them to use -- mount.  It is designed to
>>manipulate cygwin's mount table.  The fact that it is in the registry
>>is incidental.  You can do everything you need with the mount command,
>>ignoring the registry completely.
>
>I take your point - and indeed I almost posted a suggestion to use
>mount alone.  But the original poster sounded as though he knew what he
>was doing, and in this *particular* case, where the key to his problem
>was to find what in the environment had been changed by the Cygwin
>install, a quick dive into the registry looks to be the best test.
>It's what I would have done - and bear in mind also that it may not be
>mount points - doesn't Cygwin1.dll also look at the registry for
>application-specific CYGWIN settings?

This is the argument that people often make when I go into the "don't
use the registry" litany but I find it unlikely in the extreme that
someone would just "forget" that they'd modified the registry at one
point, especially when the someone isn't really sure if just copying
cygwin to the new machine should be sufficient.

The idea that this may be mount point related is a good one but none of
the other program settings in the registry should have this kind of
effect on a program.

cgf