Cygwin deadlocks due to broken select() when writing to pipes

Dylan Cuthbert dylan@q-games.com
Fri Oct 31 05:14:00 GMT 2003

This could explain my problems running rsync as a cronjob and having the
tasks hang for long periods of time (they do terminate eventually).  Its a
real pain when I try and log out or shutdown, as windows can't seem to
forcibly terminate the tasks (because they are spawned by a SYSTEM task -
the cron daemon - I suppose) and so just sits there for 30 minutes to an
hour trying to shutdown or log off.  I can't even ctrl-alt-del to bring up
the task manager because I presume windows has gone into some internal
system time-out loop of some kind.