rxvt sets DISPLAY without X11

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Sat Sep 6 04:38:00 GMT 2003

Rolf Campbell wrote:

> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>
>> Hans Werner Strube wrote:
>>
>>> If rxvt is used from the login shell outside X11, without XWin
>>> running and /tmp/.X11-unix/ empty, it nevertheless sets DISPLAY to
>>> ':0'. This even happens if rxvt is started directly from a Windows
>>> shortcut:
>>> C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -e /bin/bash --login Does this have a special
>>> meaning or is it a bug?
>>
>> rxvt does not set DISPLAY for me. You must be setting it somewhere
>> else (Windows environment variables perhaps?)
>
> It does set it for me.  And it is RXVT that sets it.
>
> RXVT:
> /home/rcampbell> set | grep DISPLAY
> DISPLAY=:0
> /home/rcampbell>
>

> WINNT console:
> /home/rcampbell> set | grep DISPLAY
> /home/rcampbell>

Open mouth and insert foot! Mea Cupla! It does for me too. I just failed
to check. I assumed that if DISPLAY was set and I did an rxvt from
within the rxvt that it would only work if DISPLAY was unset or it
pointed to a running X Server. Yet I can rxvt from within an rxvt
without X and get another rxvt.

Sorry I should have checked.