[ANNOUNCEMENT] NEW: mingw-zlib-1.1.4-4

Tue Sep 9 03:20:00 GMT 2003

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 10:30:08AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>
>>>I don't mean to speak for Chuck but, after some discussion, it's
>>>intended to be a separate package.  The intent was to not put a zlib
>>>directory in winsup, which would be the case with mingw-runtime.  Ditto
>>>for the gcc sources.
>>
>>So basically this means that everyone wanting to compile Cygwin from
>>CVS or source tarball will have to install this package, right?
>

> If they want this functionality, yes.

Yes.  Currently, the package is in the 'Mingw' group (for lack of
anything better).  I considered putting it into 'Base' for this very
reason -- but since the cygwin utilities will no doubt link statically,
they don't really need the DLL at runtime.  Just at link time.

But that means that zlib-mingw is no different than many other tools you
need "for additional functionality" when building cygwin.
gettext-devel, for recompiling the msg catalogs.  texinfo, for
recompiling the texinfo docs, and other whole suites of tools for the
sgml documentation...

As far as the name, there are a few packages with mingw-ish tendencies:

gcc-mingw
mingw-runtime
w32api

Seeing no real pattern, I chose mingw-zlib.

And yes, this is intended to be a separate package.  cgf & I talked
about simply adding the libraries to the existing zlib package, but I
didn't like that, since I felt it would overly complicate my release
procedure.

Adding them to the existing mingw-runtime or gcc-mingw package didn't
come up, but as cgf has already explained, that solution has its own
problems.

--
Chuck