Upgrading Cygwin - postinstall difficulties?

Andrew DeFaria ADeFaria@Salira.com
Tue Sep 16 17:29:00 GMT 2003

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> This is not under setup's control. Postinstall scripts are written by
> individual package maintainers. Most of them *are* reexecutable, or,
> at least, don't do anything that can't be redone. Some, however,
> modify existing state of the system, either in-place or conditionally
> on the non-existence of this previous state (i.e., new install). In
> both of
> these cases, there's a potential for failure, and the scripts will
> probably not be reexecutable. A list of such scripts might be a useful
> thing to have in the archives.

What I was saying is that the writers of postinstall scripts should be
mindful that their scripts are re-runnable. And for the few instances
where a postinstall script relies on things like the non-existence of a
previous state that they should perhaps provide a option, say
-reinstall, that would set the situation as if it was a new install.
===
Obligatory witty saying: Always remember you're unique... Just like
everyone else.