SSHD, Cygwin and Windows 2003 : continued with user rights

Olivier ALLART olivier.allart@speeq.com
Wed Sep 17 23:18:00 GMT 2003

Larry Hall wrote:

>Hm, I thought I was clear.  Let me try again addressing iisreset
>specifically.
>
>iisreset doesn't work in the scenario you described because it's a Microsoft tool which knows nothing of the Cygwin environment.  Cygwin's ssh using
>pubkey authentication doesn't authenticate the user with Windows.  So if
>you need certain credentials to perform some operation in Windows, pubkey
>authentication won't provide them.

Ok. I tought ssh offered some mechanism trough cygwin to authenticate as
if under windows ..
That means the 'administrator' account via ssh pubkey is not
'administrator' then ..

>If you need to run iisreset through ssh,
>you will need to use password authentication, which takes the password for
>the user 'administrator' and authenticates for Windows with it.  You should
>then be able to use iisreset (if authentication is really the only thing
>getting in the way with pubkey).

yes it is, since it is working with ssh connection (using password on
login) when sshd runs under 'local system'

>I don't know what are the "*some commands*" you're speaking of, but if they
>are Cygwin utilities, then I think the answer is obvious.  If they are not
>Cygwin utilities, then I would have to say that they don't require special
>privileges to run.  This is actually true for most utilities.  But if this
>is still confusing for you, you'll have to provide specifics.  However, I
>think you'll find that it's likely that anything that works for you in ssh
>using pubkey authentication falls into one of the two groups of utilities I
>mentioned.

and you are probably right.
other commands are for example 'wlbs' (or nlb).
My problem is : I want to execute some remote (but encrypted) commands
using both wlbs and iisreset.
wlbs works fine from remote, but so is not for IISreset.
I thought authentication using ssh and public key would allow me to
perform the iisreset command..
But from what you explained; it is clear that whatever user logs in with
pubkey, it won't be considered as 'administrator'
It looks like iisreset can only be performed *locally* by *local
administrator*, which is dumb in the situation where you are from
remote. Only other remote control would be 'telnet' but hey, ms telnet
can't pertform remote commands.

Last question; if I provided a pubkey in the 'administrator' (cygwin)
environment, who am I for windows ?

Thank you very much.
Next I guess I'll go look for some tip on how to unlock iisreset so it
can be used by whatever admin and not just local ..