Copying an executable from network drive without .exe extension f ails.
Steve Fairbairn
steve.fairbairn@perwill.com
Thu Sep 18 10:59:00 GMT 2003
Friends, <-- Now there's the start of a spam mail if ever I saw one ;)
I've searched archives and found a couple of potentially related messages,
but none I've found seem to quite match the behaviour I'm seeing. This
appears to be new behaviour in ?1.5.x? that worked as I expected it to when
still on a 1.3.x version (sorry, can't remember which it was, and don't have
that machine in work today to check).
I have a script which is going through a list of file names and testing they
exist before copying them. If the file doesn't exist, the script appends
..exe onto the end of the name and tests again (not sure if this is needed
for cygwin, but certainly is for MKS Toolkit).
echo "program" >> ../bins.lst
$P_WINDOWS='//dev2k/d/dev/product/bin'
cat ../bins.lst | while read file
do
if [ -f $P_WINDOWS/$file ]
then
cp $P_WINDOWS/$file WIN/
else
if [ -f $P_WINDOWS/$file.exe ]
then
cp $P_WINDOWS/$file.exe WIN/
else
echo "H:$P_WINDOWS/$file doesn't exist" >> WIN.res
fi
fi
done
I am actually running the script while I've cd'd onto a network share, so
both source and destination drives are on the network, but two separate
machines. At the time the above script is executed, the destination
directory does exist and is empty. The source directory does exist and does
contain an .exe version of the 'program'. The error produced is as
follows...
cp: `//dev2k/d/dev/product/bin/program' and `WIN/program' are the same file
To get around the problem, I've checked for the .exe version first and then
the non .exe version, but I thought it should be reported.
The potentially related messages I found are...
Re: cp -p fails with .exe files
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-06/msg01210.html
ACL or file locking issue?
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-07/msg00950.html
cp error -- oh the great sanity of *nix tools?! ...
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-06/msg01364.html
RE: 1.3.5 cp/permissions bug
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-11/msg01423.html
Cheers,
Steve Fairbairn.
--
-- LONG DISCLAIMER --
*******************************************************
This email has originated from Perwill plc (Registration No. 1906964)
Office registered at: 13A Market Square, Alton, Hampshire, GU34 1UR, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1420 545000
Fax: +44 (0)1420 545001
www.perwill.com
*******************************************************
Privileged, confidential and/or copyright information may be contained
in this email, and is only for the use of the intended addressee.
To copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it in any way if you are not
the intended recipient or responsible for delivering to him/her is
prohibited.
If you receive this email by mistake, please advise the sender immediately,
by using the reply facility in your email software.
We may monitor the content of emails sent and received via our network
for the purposes of ensuring compliance with policies and procedures.
This message is subject to and does not create or vary any contractual
relationships between Perwill plc and the recipient.
*******************************************************
Any opinions expressed in the email are those of the sender and not
necessarily of Perwill plc.
*******************************************************
This email has been scanned for known viruses using
McAfee WebShield 4.5 MR1a
*******************************************************
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: cygcheck.out
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 34106 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/attachments/20030918/8a6801c8/attachment.obj>
-------------- next part --------------
--
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
More information about the Cygwin
mailing list