cron problems finally resolved

Øyvind Harboe oyvind.harboe@zylin.com
Fri Sep 26 15:43:00 GMT 2003

After much knashing of teeth, I've finally figured out
what made my cron scripts fail:

In a normal shell, the /usr/bin is in at the front of
the $PATH.

When cron runs as a cygrunsrv service /usr/bin is at the
end of the $PATH.

In my case, I had a Windows version of "tar" that being executed
instead of CygWins "tar", but only when run from within cron
as a service.

My workaround was to launch the subcript in question via "bash":

bash --login -i -c "sh /cygdrive/c/foo/backup.sh"

This is not the first time I've run into $PATH problems between
Windows and CygWin. Something to look out for.

Øyvind