Installed, Admin can run, other account can't...

Marco Mason mmason@npc.net
Fri Sep 26 20:19:00 GMT 2003

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Marco Mason wrote:
>
> > Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> > > $ net helpmsg 5
> > > Access is denied.
> > > $
> > >
> > > Basically, it looks like Win2k couldn't run the application as the test
> > > user.  What's the output of "ls -l /bin/bash.exe"?  How about "getfacl
> > > /bin/bash.exe"?  You may need to change the permissions manually on your
> > > Cygwin tree, using the "chmod -R" command.
> > >         Igor
> >
> > Here's what you asked:
> >
> > $ ls -al /bin/bash.exe
> > -rwx------+   1 Administ Users      534016 Sep 15 05:47 /bin/bash.exe
> >
> > $ getfacl /bin/bash.exe
> > # file: /bin/bash
> > # owner: Administrators
> > # group: Users
> > user::rwx
> > group::---
> > group:D-Application Server-RW:rwx
> > mask:rwx
> > other:---
> >
> > The user having difficulties is named 'EagleGen' and is a member of the
> > D-Application Server-RW group.
> >
> > --marco
>
> Ok.  This pretty much confirms my guess.
>
> A quick fix would be to "chmod -R a+x /bin /usr/X11R6/bin /usr/sbin
> /usr/i686-pc-* /usr/lib/gcc-lib && chmod -R a+r /usr /etc /lib /var".  I
> may have missed some directories with executables.  You may also need to
> give write access to everyone in /tmp and /var...

Hmmm...

I just tried this, and I still can't seem to make it operate.  I'm going to have
start learning how the Windows Security stuff is put together so I can try some
more.

> The "real" fix would be to make setup create the directories with the
> right permissions from the start.  I'm not sure this is possible.
> Perhaps people with more knowledge of ACLs (Pierre, Corinna, CGF?) will
> chime in and offer their opinions...
>         Igor
> --

If it's a security thing, then perhaps setup will create the directories
properly
if I fix the security and then reinstall.  At least, I'm hoping so..  8^)

Thanks for your assistance...

--marco