XFree86-bin-icons

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Mon Sep 29 19:38:00 GMT 2003

[Discussion on this issue is now taking place where it should have in
the first place: cygwin-xfree.  Please follow the cygwin-xfree mailing
list for further posts.]

Igor,

Okay, that explains why I couldn't find the message in cygwin-xfree.  I
really wish someone would have redirected the question over here... I
never saw it.

 > FWIW, you can force the order of execution of the XFree86-bin-icons.sh
 > postinstall script by making the package dependent on XFree86-bin and
 > others, but that would most likely defeat the purpose of the package.

Thanks.  I actually did that just now, right before you suggested it.
However, I didn't know that it would force the order of post-install
script execution; that is a nice side-effect.  The bin-icons package
should logically depend on the bin package.  People can manually
unselect it if they want to.

That's not entirely true.  For example, my account has Administrator
priveleges on my machine, the script runs fine when I launch it from a
bash prompt; so file permissions are not an issue.

It doesn't hang when you do this.

Something strange is going on here... setup.exe says "Running: No
Package /etc/postinstal/XFree86-bin-icons".  What is up with the "No
Package"?  Is that indicating the real problem?

Another thing is that an Uninstall of XFree86-bin-icons also hangs when
it tries to run the preremove script.  Yet, running the preremove script
by hand never causes any problems (e.g. bash -x
/etc/preremove/XFree86-bin-icons.sh).

What gives?

Harold