Using authentication under Apache for Cygwin

Andrew DeFaria ADeFaria@Salira.com
Tue Sep 30 02:46:00 GMT 2003


Stipe Tolj wrote:

>> Now that Apache for Cygwin seems to work more reliably I have started 
>> using it as my web server. However authentication (that was working 
>> with Apache for Windows) broke. I'm wondering if this is an Apache 
>> for Cygwin specific problem.
>>
>> I used to have this implemented at the server level in the httpd.conf 
>> file like so:
>>
>> # Secure addbug form
>> <Directory "//sonscentral/users/adefaria/www/Internal/Release/addbug/">
>> AuthName "permission to add a bug"
>> AuthType Basic
>> AuthUserFile /etc/apache/addbug_users
>> Require valid-user
>> </Directory>
>>
>> However that fails to work. The user is let in without being prompted 
>> for a username/password. I've also tried using a .htaccess file:
>>
>> AuthType Basic
>> AuthName "permission to add a bug"
>> AuthUserFile /etc/apache/addbug_users
>>
>> Require valid-user
>>
>> With the same non-success. I had cranked up the loglevel in the hopes 
>> that something about the failure would be written to the logs but 
>> nothing is. How can I debug/fix this? Does Apache for Cygwin do any 
>> authentication at all?
>>
>> Apache 1.3.24; Cygwin 1.5.4
>
> did you used "AuthGroupFile /dev/null" in this scope too?

Just did (in the .htaccess file). Didn't change anything.

> I have no clue for this, because Authentication using the standard 
> mod_auth was working very reliably since decades for me.
>
> BTW, why is the <Director> path starting with *two* slashes? Maybe we 
> got the raeson for this behaviour at this point.

The two slashes indicate a UNC name. In most aspects of Cygwin/Windows 
slashes can stand in for backslashes and are particularly useful. 
Otherwise one needs to have 
\\\\sonscentral\\users\\adefaria\\www\\Internal\\Release\\addbug\\!

As I said, this configuration was working in Apache for Windows (where I 
was using the <Directory> directive and a path like 
\\sonscentral\users\adefaria\www\Internal\Release\addbug\ - no need to 
double the backslashes for just Windows).
===
5 days a week my body is a temple. The other two, it's an amusement park.



--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list