Files in /etc missing after new install

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Tue Sep 30 15:55:00 GMT 2003

Reiner,

Yes, it certainly does look like a permission issue (as I guessed in my
reply to CGF -- I should learn to read all the messages in the thread
before replying).  Since you said you've already reinstalled a couple of
times, and, at a guess, are willing to do so again if needed, as the
simplest course of aciton I'd suggest removing everything under c:\cygwin
(but leaving the directory itself), changing the permissions of that
directory to something more liberal (IMO, read and execute access for at
least "Authenticated Users" or "Users", write access for the owner, and
check the "inherited by children" box), and reinstalling.

Please let the list know if this works, since this kind of problem has
cropped up from time to time, and it's good to have something definite in
the archives.
	Igor
P.S. As suggested in <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-09/msg01722.html>,
this would be a good functionality to have in setup.

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu