Questions on cygwin filemode in WindowsXP

David Rothenberger daveroth@acm.org
Thu Apr 1 15:15:00 GMT 2004

Yufeng Xiong wrote:

>1. What is the '+' in the file mode? I know it has something to do with file
>permission, after
>the editing, my web server/PHP does not have permission to open test.php
>anymore

I believe the "+" indicates that there are some Windows permissions that
do not map to the Unix-style user/group/other.  For example, if I create
a new file using cygwin (say, with touch), and then open the file's
properties with Windows and explicitly add permission for another user
to modify the file, I see the "+".

>2. How do I set the '+' in mode manually? I used 'fstat' on the two files
>and it shows the exact
>same mode (o100700).

Well, you can copy all the file attributes from one file (sourceFile) to
another (destFile) with a command like this:

% getfacl - sourceFile | setfacl -f- destFile

>3. Why xemacs changed the file mode? Could it be because of different file
>system?

Do "M-x customize-apropros" on "backup-by-copying".  The default
behavior is to move the old file to the backup file and then create a
new file.  If you set this option on (non-nil), the backup copy will be
made as a copy and the original file will be modified.  This will
preserve the extra file permissions on the original file (although the
backup copy won't have them).

HTH,
Dave