.bashrc is ignored

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Mon Apr 12 18:43:00 GMT 2004

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Hoss wrote:

> hi.
>
> I'm a newbie to cygwin and I'm trying to setup .bashrc to start when I
> launch a cygwin terminal (using rxvt in fact).  my .bashrc is ignored
> which I think is because the %HOME% environment variable is not set
> *before* I run bash/rxvt.  When I do set it, it simply causes bash to
> create new directories.  Basically I'm not sure whether %HOME% (a
> windows environment variable) should be set in Windows or POSIX format,
> and how to quote the string or escape spaces in either case - I'm trying
> to make sure my home directory is the same as my windows profile
> directory (done this) and that bash recognises this as the location to
> find .bashrc.
>
> Hoep someone can help!
>
> Thanks
> hoss

See <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC38>.  BTW, that entry should be
augmented with "bash --login" will execute .bash_profile instead of
.bashrc, as outlined in the 'INVOCATION' section of the bash manpage".

FWIW, to avoid surprises, my ~/.bash_profile is a symlink to ~/.bashrc.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu