Shared installs

Larry Hall cygwin-lh@cygwin.com
Tue Apr 13 02:54:00 GMT 2004

At 10:43 PM 4/12/2004, you wrote:
>On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 22:18:09 -0400, "Christopher Faylor" <xxx@xxx.xxx> said:
>> On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 10:06:27PM -0400, Matthew O. Persico wrote:
>>> I installed Cygwin today at work onto a network drive.  I added
>>> the
>>> cygwin bin to my path and all was well.  I then added the path to
>>> coworker's machine, but it failed miserably.  Then I remembered
>>> that
>>> there were some registry entries for mounting that needed to be
>>> installed.
>>
>> The tool you need is mount.
>>
>> Just typing "mount" will show you how your mount table is laid out.
>>
>> Typing "mount -m" will show you the commands to recreate the mount
>> table on another drive (assuming consistent drive lettering).
>>
>> Even better, typing "man mount" will show you how to use mount.
>
>How about an FAQ entry:
>
>How do I install Cygwin to share over a network?
>
>Having more than one person to be able to access a single shared instance of Cygwin it is not much different than doing a local install:
>
>1) Install to a network drive. Make sure the the drive you pick will have the same drive letter for everyone.
>2) On the machine you used for the install, add the DOS path to the cygwin bin to PATH
>3) Fire up a shell and type
>    mount -m > remount.sh
>4) On every other user's computer, just add the cygwin bin to the PATH, execute remount.sh and give them a shortcut to cygwin.bat

We try to limit FAQ entries to those that are frequently asked.  This one
comes up but only once in a while.  The idea is if the FAQ becomes to full
of "stuff", it will be too hard for anyone to use.  So we try to keep it
at the "manageable" level by using the axiom above.  This would be a
reasonable thing to add to the Users Guide IMO.  If you're up to it, skim
through and see if you can see a good spot to add it.  If you can create
a patch, I'm sure this will get included.

Holliston, MA 01746