Volunteering To Help Write Cygwin Java Swing Setup Program

Keith Bennett kbennett@cpcug.org
Sun Apr 18 14:24:00 GMT 2004

Hi, all...

I am a Java developer specializing in Java Swing and
internationalization.  I don't use Windows much (I use Mac OS X and
Linux), but when I do I am extremely grateful for the availability of
Cygwin software.

However, I have been often been frustrated by the user interface of the
setup software.  I have installed cygwin on several machines, and almost
every time it has been painful and time consuming.  I am grateful that
the setup software exists, but wish it were better.  Perhaps a more
friendly user interface would even result in more people using Cygwin
software.

If others feel the same way, and would like to look into writing a new
setup program, I would like to offer my assistance.

Here's what I'm thinking:

We write a Java Swing setup program with a clean separation of model and
view/controller components.  This way, if someone wants to write an
alternate view component (in SWT, for example), the amount of work to do
so is minimized.

Realistically I could not take responsibility for this entire project,
so this would only be viable if others were willing to help.  I could be
most productive on the user interface side.

Is this the most appropriate or productive venue for raising this
question?  If not, can you suggest another forum or means of
communication that would be better?

Thanks,
Keith Bennett