Cygwin make thinks a statement can be neither true nor false....

Noel Yap Noel.Yap@morganstanley.com
Tue Apr 20 18:55:00 GMT 2004

Paul D. Smith wrote:

> %% "Dave Korn" <dk@artimi.com> writes:
> The problem is that in many makefiles you tend to get a lot of "false
> positives".
>
> For example, many makefiles leave certain variables to be set by the
> user, like CPPFLAGS or CFLAGS.  If you do that in your makefiles, and
> the user has no reason to set them, then you'll get lots o' warnings.
>
> You can work around this with various GNU make-specific fanciness, but
> most developers don't bother.

The largest problem I've seen is when using $(call) on a macro that's not defined (either because the makefile that defines the macro hasn't been included, or there's a typo at the call site).  A separate option that would either warn or error upon trying
to call undefined macros would be great.  What do you think?

Noel