placing ~ on a network mapped drive.

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Wed Apr 21 00:55:00 GMT 2004

Ray wrote:

> Hi, I've been reading the FAQ's and searching through the archives,
> but am not able to find a way to make the current user's home
> directory go outside of \cygwin\home.
>
> More specifically, I would like to have more control of user home
> locations for backup and recovery puposes. Could anyone give some
> insight into how to place the users' home directories outside of
> \cygwin\home? Mapping to another drive would be preferable.

Personally I don't map anything to any kind of drive letter! Why would
you want to limit yourself to the 26 letters in the alphabet?

What I do is mount the remote share to /home:

$ mount -bsf //<server>/<share> /home

Then adjust /etc/passwd to use /home/<username>. Note that the above
mounting is for the share for all users such that an ls //server/share
would list all user's home directory.

Further you may need to adjust /etc/profile to set HOME to the value
from /etc/passwd.
--
Ambition is the last refuge of a failure.