Emulating hard links on FAT et al.

Thu Apr 22 07:28:00 GMT 2004

On Apr 21 14:10, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> > >Yes, but as I asked -- is that necessary?  I mean, if it will require a
> > >full rewrite of the ntea functionality, then NT is certainly a
> > >prerequisite.
> >
> > I don't get what you are asking when you say "Is that necessary?"   Are
> > you suggesting that someone could emulate NTEA functionality in cygwin
> > on 9x/Me?
> >
> > cgf
>
> Yes, I'm asking if that's possible (in your and others' educated opinion),
> and if so, how much estimated effort that will involve.  If there's too
> much interdependence with the NT API, then it's probably not a good idea,

Have a look into cygwin's ntea.cc.  It uses the NT Backup API which is
how EA are read or written on NT.  Now try to estimate how long it takes
to implement something similar on 9x.  I don't think it's worth the
effort anyway.

Corinna

Cygwin Co-Project Leader          mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
Red Hat, Inc.