Major Problem With Latest CYGWIN1.DLL And Serail IO

George Abdelmalik georgeabdelmalik@hotmail.com
Fri Apr 23 01:42:00 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I've encountered a problem in using serial ports (comm ports) with the
latest cygwin snapshots.

The problem was first encountered in snapshot cygwin1-20040416.dll and with
further testing i've
concluded that the issue remains with the most recent snapshots.  These
being:
- cygwin1-20040422.dll
- cygwin1-20040420.dll
- cygwin1-20040416.dll

The problem occurs when a call to open() is made. Under WIN XP the open
fails
after a few seconds of blocking. Under WIN 2000, the open is successful
however
calls to  ioctl with TIOCMGET produce false results (i.e. obtaining the
status
of DTR, RTS etc).

I think this is related to the changes 'Corinna Vinschen' made in the
cygwin1-20040416.dll
snapshot, specifically:

(fhandler_base::open): Rearrange to use NtCreateFile instead of CreateFile.

This problem does not occur in snapshots previous to cygwin1-20040416.dll.

I've written a piece of code which demonstrates this issue, and have
attached it to this
posting. I would appreciate it if people could verify this issue by running
the attached
code.

To compile:
make all

To run:
./openfault

Tested system configurations:
- WIN XP
  256MB RAM
  P4 @ 1.6 GHz
  SP1

- WIN 2000
  192MB RAM
  P4 @ 1.2 GHz
  SP1

I've also attached the cygcheck for the WIN XP system.

george.

SEEK: Now with over 50,000 dream jobs! Click here:
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail