Problem starting sshd as a service

Mark Bohlman mbohlman@tcicredit.com
Thu Aug 5 13:24:00 GMT 2004

Gernot Hillier wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Am Donnerstag, 5. August 2004 11:24 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
>
>>>- setup ssh:
>>>	- set environment variable CYGWIN to "ntsec tty" (Control Panel/
>>>	System/Advanced/Environmental Variables)
>>>	- call "ssh-host-config -y" in a cygwin window --> creates a user "sshd"
>>>	- chown SYSTEM /etc/ssh_host_* /var/empty
>>>	- net start sshd
>>>	- try to login with "ssh localhost"
>>>
>>>So for me it seems as sshd is installed as service but this last check
>>>somehow fails.
>>
>>I'm sorry but that's not exactly helpful.  I'd need a proof and at least
>>a debug output of a script run.  I'm also wondering sometimes why nobody
>>tries to fix the bug (if there is one) instead of constantly working around
>>it.  It's just a shell script.  It's not overly complicated, is it?
>

> I'll try to do this as soon as I have something around an hour of spare time.
> But I can't promise anything, sorry... :-(

I had similar problems in the past week on 3 machines, but did not look
at the script.  Have to admit that I read *very* little of the doc for
setting up ssh however (my bad), and plugged away.  Finding the eventvwr
message about not getting to /var/empty and looking at that led me to
the same solution on the chown SYSTEM invocation.  All I had done,
following a clean install was ssh-host-config (and ssh-user-config on
one system trying to figure it out).  At least a hint from the script
that it is running without an installed service might be helpful (and
yes I'll see if I can't find the time to make the mods as well).

Keep up the good work!
-- Mark