installing packages using setup.exe from the command line (e.g., remotely)

Max Bowsher maxb@ukf.net
Thu Aug 19 17:31:00 GMT 2004


Christopher Cobb wrote:
> I've found snipets of information, such as this:
>
>    http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-03/msg00526.html
>
> What I would like is an example of how to use setup.exe from the command 
> line
> (e.g., via ssh) to install a package remotely.
>
> I've tried this:
>
>    setup -D -s ftp://mirrors.kernel.org -R $CYGWIN_HOME -q -n wget
>
> which does not produce any errors, but it also doesn't seem to download or
> install the package.

setup isn't really designed for use from the command line. It doesn't take 
package names as arguments, for example. You could, I suppose, munge 
/etc/setup/installed.db to fool setup into thinking that a really old (e.g. 
version 0) version of a package is installed, so that it would updated - 
it's a messy way to do it, but there is no better way.

Max.


--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list