A vexing installation problem

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Wed Dec 1 18:58:00 GMT 2004

David Hinds schrieb:
> Drat... Windows Update decided to install a "critical security fix"
> last night, and today, Cygwin appears to be 100% dead in the water as
> opposed to yesterday's 90%.  The security fix is supposed to be in
> Internet Explorer so it might just be a coincidence.
>
> I've attached "strace" output from running "ls".  The output is
> slightly different from previous attempts, because I'd been able to
> run the postinstall scripts to populate /etc/passwd and /etc/group;
> but the failure mode appears unchanged, with death following shortly
> after signals are enabled.  The trace is still slightly variable from
> one run to the next; sometimes I get one or two messages about locks,
> sometimes not.
>
> By the way, this is a dual Xeon workstation, without hyperthreading.

>   218   22778 [main] ls 1336 path_conv::check: this->path(\\duckling\dhinds), has_acls(0)
>   158   22936 [main] ls 1336 win_env::add_cache: posix //duckling/dhinds
>   149   23085 [main] ls 1336 win_env::add_cache: native HOME=\\duckling\dhinds
>   641   23726 [main] ls 1336 sigproc_init: process/signal handling enabled(1001)
>   203   23929 [main] ls 1336 __cygwin_lock_lock: threadcount 1.  not locking

And you really think using a UNC path $HOME is a good idea?
And you really think you must send us this strace just for telling us
that cygwin didn't like your UNC path $HOME?
How about mounting this to a local volume
("net use * \\duckling\dhinds" or cygwin's mount)
Or better use a local drive for home instead?
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/