MSVC-dll under Cygwin

Mikael Åsberg mikas493@student.liu.se
Thu Dec 2 17:47:00 GMT 2004

"Fred Kulack" wrote:
> Perhaps I'm untrusting, but I'm not sure I'd expect you to be able to use
> a standard C++ library object like string from one C++ binary in Cygwin
> to a non-C++ binary.
>
> I.e.
>  cygwin std::string  is probably not the same definition as MSVC
> std::string.
> Why would it be?

You are most likely correct. I noticed that the third parameter,
std::string& error_information causes the cygwin test program
to segfault when I call the DLL function. If I compile the DLL
without the third parameter I don't get the segfault. In both cases
all strings are garbled though.

Therefore, I am changing the implementation of my DLL to pure C.

> "The stuff we call "software" is not like anything that human society
>  is used to thinking about. Software is something like a machine, and
>  something like mathematics, and something like language, and
>  something like thought, and art, and information...
>  but software is not in fact any of those other things."
> Bruce Sterling - The Hacker Crackdown
>
> Fred A. Kulack - IBM eServer iSeries - Enterprise Application Solutions
> ERP, Java DB2 access, Jdbc, JTA, etc...
> IBM in Rochester, MN  (Phone: 507.253.5982   T/L 553-5982)
> mailto:kulack/us.ibm.com   Personal: mailto:kulack/gmail.com
> AIM Home:FKulack  AIM Work:FKulackWrk
> MSN Work: fakulack/hotmail.com (replace email / with @)

/ Mikael