building perl modules in cygwin

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Thu Dec 9 14:00:00 GMT 2004

Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes schrieb:
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 08:34:09AM -0800, a c wrote:
>>cpan> install Win32
>
> Win32 is rather a special case.  There are parts of Win32:: that are
> actually compiled into the win32 perl (but *not* cygwin) builds.
> And, as of late, the whole Win32 module is included with win32 perls
> (though not the other modules in the libwin32 distribution).
>
> Unfortunately, the libwin32 code needed some changes to work with
> cygwin; a separate release installable through cygwin setup was
> created, but that was build to work with 5.8.2, and the cygwin perl
> has since been updated to 5.8.5 (and soon 5.8.6).  I've seen talk
> about remedying this, but don't know where it's at at the moment.
>
> Ideally the changes needed for cygwin would be integrated back into
> the version of libwin32 on CPAN, but no one has been maintaining that
> for a while.  Jan Dubois of ActiveState recently announced that they
> would be looking at patches that have been submitted and trying to get
> a new CPAN release ready in the first part of next year.
> So, if the patches needed for cygwin get submitted (I think via
> rt.cpan.org), they may get included, and the rest of the CPAN
> distribution will work.
>
> For the Win32 module itself, some work needs to be done within perl
> itself to get it built for cygwin.

I have an updated perl-libwin32 version ready,
but I wanted to wait for gerrit's pending perl-5.8.6 update.
(rt.cpan.org patch not yet submitted, some ole and libiodbc issues.)

It will be released then. perl-win32-gui will be a seperate new module.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/