PostgreSQL: Bad system call

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Thu Dec 9 14:56:00 GMT 2004

Markus Hoenicka schrieb:
  once again I've hosed my PostgreSQL installation. I've more or less
accidentally
> upgraded PostgreSQL to the latest version and it would start no more. I've
> perused the archives and collected all remedies I've found. Most notably:
>
> - I had fixed the / and /bin permissions previously and made sure they're still
> ok
> - I made my postgres user account own the binary
> - I've removed the cygipc and cygipc2 services
> - I've installed cygserver and made sure it is actually started
> - Needless to say, I've rebooted the box too
>
> No matter what I do, I'm now stuck with the following error. For test purposes I
> logged in to my postgres account and started postmaster manually with
> postmaster -d5 -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
>
> [lots of DEBUG messages]
> DEBUG:  invoking IpcMemoryCreate(size=10461184)
> Bad system call
>
> As I got stuck here I desperately tried various things, among them removing
> cygserver and starting cygipc2 again and downgrading to the previous PostgreSQL
> version. All this does not help a bit. I've not yet tried to downgrade
> cygwin1.dll to the previous version (1.5.11 vs. 1.5.12).
>
> Can anyone throw me a ring here?

So finally someone else got the same cygserver problem as me!

The cause is that the internal cygserver msg buffer is allocated
read-only. (IsBadWritePtr() fails)
Reason unknown. gcc? cygwin?
Solution pending.

Szteps to reproduce: