cygwin-gcc-fopen bug? (Purify, valgrind)

Jim Kleckner jek-cygwin1@kleckner.net
Fri Dec 10 22:44:00 GMT 2004

Jim Kleckner wrote:

> Dave Korn wrote:
>>   Maybe we should try and port the free open-source equivalent valgrind
>> (http://valgrind.kde.org/) instead?  I haven't ever looked at this,
>> but it ought
>> to be possible.  I note that you can use (a special variant version
>> of) valgrind
>> to verify win32 apps running on WINE.  So I guess there's a
>> long-way-round to do
>> that already....
>

> Interesting tool and it looks promising.
> Without careful feature comparison, I can't be
> sure, but I'll bet there are significant checks
> that Purify does (if OCI is enabled) that Valgrind
> does not do.

FWIW, these folks have done a detailed comparison:
http://tinyurl.com/4un5g
http://www.cs.wm.edu/~coppit/csci780-fall2003/final-papers/hewett-dipalma.pdf

Valgrind does indeed look competitive, although
the authors weren't too explicit about what
types of errors were found by one and not
the other.

Now, I wonder how hard it is to port...

Jim